Thursday 24 July 2014

Wrongly wired.

I have often wondered why it seems so hard to do the right thing in Nigeria. I mean, you decide to be a good Nigerian citizen as you step out into your day, and at the end of the day, you just want to bury your face in shame or shake your head in disgust. 
Why is it so hard?

Today, I came up with a hypothesis. I think Nigeria has been re-designed to accept corruption and dishonesty as the norm. An average Nigerian condones corruption and sees the person speaking or acting otherwise as Oversabi or a goody-two-shoes. 


As y'all know, I am currently serving the fatherland in Northern Nigeria. 
At the beginning of the year, my Federal allowance was paid twice in a particular month, while some of my colleagues had a backlog of unpaid allowee.

I sought to do the noble thing and alert the authorities to the surprise of a lot of people.
I went all the way to the headquarters and they agreed to do something about it. 
Of course they didn't and I could have rested my case. After all, I had done my part.

Anyways, recently, I asked again about my overpayment and this time, I was given definite instructions.  
Believe me, it was not an easy feat! Imagine being stressed while trying to do the system a favour! I went back and forth between the NYSC office, my bank and their bank before I could get their money out of my coffers . The NYSC officials were as surprised as my bank manager and all said their own forms of prayers and even though I said Amen, I was more grateful that that burden had been lifted. 
What a relief!

I didn't bargain for the stress I got. I had imagined that since I was doing a good deed which was in fact a favour to NYSC, they would save me the usual stress attributable to this institution. I guessed wrong.
And I concluded: the Nigerian system is wired to enhance and propagate corruption and wrong values; and at the same time, frustrate the few sane Nigerians that still hold on tenaciously to our integrity.


Would I do this again if the opportunity arises? Of course I will. 
And that's why I have written today. 
To encourage you to do the same when faced with a  similar situation. 

God bless Nigeria!

1 comment:

  1. Well, that was a gud one. They're still many Nigerians out there who believe in the operations of integrity. It's my life line. Jesus says "a good man out of his inner good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things... In other words, they're things U can't just stop doing because U got the seed of God in U. If we keep doing these over and over and over and over and over again then, atleast our immediate environs will be left with no choice than to conform to our patterns. "for the light shineth in darknes and darkness comprehended it not" so the word says. The word 'shineth' is a verb - a doing word. So friends, lets not be weary in doing good for in due season we will receive our reward if we faint not. (VisionClub)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for viewing my blog. Please share your views and opinions too