Tuesday 8 July 2014

Ba Turanchi!

I met Haraura on a typical work day. She is 17 years old and she came to register for ante natal care. I became endeared to her because of her diction. She spoke English with confidence like a properly educated lady.

I pried further and she shocked me!
She didn't have a formal secondary school education.
I was perplexed.


I asked more and more questions and her replies dazed me.
Her father couldn't afford to send a daughter to secondary school, so she stopped in JSS2.
But she had a desire to learn and so she checked up new words in dictionaries, read books, and with the advent of Internet availability, she surfs the Web and gets information.


I was impressed.
This was a shift from the Norm. I had become accustomed to hearing ' ba turanchi' ( no english) from beautiful young women who came in with an infant in one hand and usually another little one growing in their wombs.



Haraura and I exchanged numbers and we keep in touch often. I hope to someday have a chat with her husband in whose hands lie her future and encourage him to help her dream come true.


Believe it or not, girl child education is still a challenge in some parts of Nigeria.
I meet at least 2 young ladies that can't communicate with me in English at my Mpape Clinic every day.




I have met mothers who can't make decisions that would save their children's lives without getting permission or money from their husbands.



The importance of the girl child education can never be over-emphasised.

The Educated woman is an asset to her husband, her children, her community and her country!


Girl child education will reduce some health care indices like Maternal mortality rate and infant mortality rate.
An educated girl is likely to marry at an older age and have less amount of children, just to mention a few.


Today is the 85th day after the Chibok abduction! Those young women were abducted from their schools!
What better way to wage war against the education of the girl child?




Please help educate that young woman in your vicinity.
Yes you can, by starting with your maid!

2 comments:

Thank you for viewing my blog. Please share your views and opinions too