Monday 14 July 2014

Lessons from Brazil 2014

I enjoyed watching the matches in the just-concluded world cup.
I didn't particularly enjoy the opening ceremony ( I think Shakira did a better job with the 2010 Waka waka! ), but I enjoyed most of the matches!



Starting with the unexpected defeat of Spain at the group stage, to Nigeria's fair performance - (I had no hope in the Super Eagles so I wasn't as disappointed or excited as most Nigerians).

I missed Suarez's biting moment and Neymar's mandatory exit thanks to the Colombian defender. 

I blame this Colombian for Brazil's woeful and Epic 7 - 1 loss to Germany! ( I must console my friends that have developed some Brazilian traits in them by virtue of those Brazilian weaves which must have passed some form of gene into them! Most certainly!)

Several lessons have I learnt in these matches. But one lesson stands tall from ALL the matches: the spirit of sportsmanship.

I watched opponents strive so hard to come out tops from each match and yet stretch out a hand to help the fallen opponent get back up.
Most memorable for me was the Semifinals between Argentina and Netherlands. As Javier Mascherano of Argentina staggered following a head bump, Georgino Wijnaldum from Netherlands helped him as he fell to the ground.
I was impressed. I have added a link below for those that missed that moment:


javier-mascherano-head-injury-argentina-netherlands-world-cup-semifinal

The fact that we are opponents doesn't make us enemies! It doesn't mean that I can't help you.
A lot of us get this wrong and we keep a long list of enemies and put ourselves in the cage of dislike and hate.


We can be opponents and still have a healthy relationship. The sky is big enough for birds to fly without being on a collision course!
Love your enemies, so the bible says. Wouldn't it be easier if we had less enemies?

Opposition isn't synonymous with enmity!
Stop the hate! Be a sportsman!
The world would be a better place.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for viewing my blog. Please share your views and opinions too