Monday 16 June 2014

It has to be love

It has to be Love

As I defied the rain and waded in dirty muddy waters from the Mpape slum, I asked myself what I was really doing.
It had to be love. That's the only explanation for this action.
After being coated in dust from the sand storm and drenched in rain from the showers that followed suit; after standing, freezing at the bus stop as the heavens let down her drops and drops of rain, I went back home to dry my dreadlocks  and change my wet clothes. 
And then headed out!  Again!
And oops I left my umbrella at home. So the drizzle after the storm found solace in me.
'Is this job really worth this?' I asked myself. Do my patients deserve this sacrifice? Should I be doing so much ( especially since I haven't been paid in the last 3 months)? Won't my patients survive in my absence? 
Will there be Chaos if I don't show up at work today? 
And I realised that even though I had not been paid for 3 months and even though there were other health workers that could attend to the patients, I did all I did cause I love what I do! 
I love my Job. I love being a medical doctor. I love saving lives, informing people, enlightening them, comforting them, making them feel better.
It has to be love for what I do.
 Cause otherwise, it doesn't make sense to go through all I went through today just to get to a job where my employers love to hold back what's rightfully mine. 

2 comments:

  1. This country is not worth it: where the labours of our heroes past have become vain and those of the present-day heroes count for nought.
    Nobody cares, except your family and friends. They are the ones that will be affected if you sacrifice yourself on the altar of " Nigeria ".
    Anyways I pray that God rewards openly, that which you have done in secret. Let's just hope that when He does, no one comes out to shout "FOUL".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abiodun Kolade18 June 2014 at 12:47

    Almost every occupation has fallen to the Nigerian factor. One day i will gist you about the trouble with being an Estate Surveyor in Lagos where any idiot can show you a house, where Baba Risi sells pure water and sells houses by the side. Where every tout is also an agent. Every professsional in Nigeria has one thing to say. You complete a report and the client wants to pay you 10 naira after 5 years in school and another 5 for your professional qualifications. When you complain they say" what did you do????" Keep saving lives. It helps to help.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for viewing my blog. Please share your views and opinions too