Thursday 19 June 2014

#bringbackourgirls#

Wow, 66 days after their abduction, the Chibok girls are still unaccounted for.
I'll spare us all my bewilderment about how more than 200 girls were abducted in the first place. We have all voiced our surprises and asked the questions.



In fact, the whole world has questioned the execution of this abduction in the wake of a state of emergency. In Borno State. Celebrities, world leaders, schools and groups have all joined what has become a very, very popular campaign



My fear, however, is that like every issue that caused an outrage and uproar from the Nigerian masses, this too will be swept under the carpet (God forbid!).

Considering the fact that these are actual lives we are talking about, and not the usual corruption allegations, defiance of the rule of law, removal of subsidy, senseless rantings of politicians or unending strike actions by several labour unions; these are future Mothers and wives, future leaders of Nigeria.




Thank God for the likes of the former Minister Oby Ezekweseli who have taken it upon themselves to remind the amnesia - prone populace of Nigeria ( leaders and followers alike) that these girls are still missing and that we shouldn't keep our peace.


But I still have my fears.
I fear that this FIFA fever will diminish our tenacity, that it will blur our passion (I pray I am wrong).
I am afraid that like always,our leaders will serve us another topic to rant about, and subsequently we will forget the plight of these girls.




I shiver at the thought that someday in the future, we, as a nation, will begin to observe April 15 as a public holiday in remembrance of the would-be mothers who were suddenly and 
rudely separated from their families and forced into a fate that I refuse to imagine. A group of young girls whose country failed them.





It has been 66 days of absence, uncertainties, fear, gloom and heaviness for these girls and their loved ones.





Let's keep hope alive for their sakes.‪



#‎bringbackourgirls‬#

1 comment:

  1. Our soldiers are still in d Sambisa forest, we are still on d matter. Don't mind d opposition party who want to use dis to score cheap political points. That will be reply of our dear Bros J if u bring dis before him...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for viewing my blog. Please share your views and opinions too