Monday 30 June 2014

Friend or Foe, be sure you know!!!

A few weeks ago, during CDS, I witnessed a scene. Before now, CDS was just a mandatory waste of my time. But this changed after the baton of leadership of the group was passed to me about a month ago. It's now my responsibility to ensure that my group members don't feel this way anymore.
But this isn't my gist for today.




As I passed the attendance register around ( one of the responsibilities I inherited as the president of the group), I saw a fellow Corp member and colleague approach us. I could literally feel her anger. She was very furious and the energy she exuded was almost palpable. 

She was mad at our employers over our outstanding salaries and she wanted us to see an 'oga at the top' to get a reasonable explanation for their actions( or inaction).


So, it came as no surprise when she let out her steam as we were discussing with one of the council officials. I had no problem with her expressing her mind; but it should be to the right person(s).



This wasn't so, as she poured out her mind and recounted our rights to the only man that seemed to be sympathetic towards our cause.
She shot the only comrade from the enemy's line we had in the leg. Chai! What a loss.




As expected, he also flared up and spared no words in expressing his surprise and displeasure at our seeming ingratitude and told us that henceforth, we were OYO (on your own).
( By now, a pocket of crowd had gathered; trust Nigerians).


After trying to play the peace-maker( which wasn't appreciated and hence yielded no result) , I carried my 'kaya' ( luggage) and left the scene.


I realised that what I just saw was common. We all have battles to be fought as we grow; and in these battles we have friends and foes; those that are for us or against us.
It is our responsibility to identify correctly who is who and fight only the enemies, lest we attack our backup or destroy our armoury, thus rendering ourselves more vulnerable for defeat.



My colleagues and I intended to get our 3months arrears paid; instead we might have stalled it further till God knows when!
NB: I learnt the two parties sorted their differences afterwards sha; and last week, we got paid for one out of the 3 months! Yeah it helped to pay part of the debts that had accumulated over time.



Lesson learnt: " friend or foe, be sure you know!"



1 comment:

  1. Abiodun Kolade2 July 2014 at 20:22

    Friend or Foe. Sort us small out of the one month pay. Then i can answer you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for viewing my blog. Please share your views and opinions too