Friday 27 June 2014

Bromhidrosis! weapon of mass destruction!!




As I headed for Bwari a day after the Emab blast, cramped at the back of a commercial cab as is the custom, I observed the demeanor of other commuters. And realised that life goes on. Except for a few new police check points, nothing could tell you that a Bomb blast occurred yesterday.



As some other passengers alighted at their destination, a few joined us towards Bwari. That's when this 'bros' boarded our cab.
I didn't take any particular note of him until he stretched his hand towards my head rest. It wasn't the hand that got my attention; it was the odour that emanated from his armpit! Chai! O boy, I thought of taking cover! But my only cover was to let more air into the vehicle.





As we neared our destination, all the other passengers dozed off! And I wondered, ' na weapon of mass destruction be this?', could the odour from the probable bush in his axilla have sedated these people? I hitched my nose nearer to the window to reduce the flow that got to my nostrils.




I will attempt to let us all know how to deal with body odour( I am sure we all know someone somewhere struggling with this embarrassing challenge)




Body odour is medically called Bromhidrosis.


I'll spare you the technicalities of how our body has 2 types of sweat glands ( eccrine and apocrine) and how the latter produces ' sweat' that has a higher concentration of protein.



Believe it or not, we all have bacteria all over our skins! That's their natural habitat! These bacteria act on the protein in sweat and the resultant effect is that unpleasant smell.




Some people have battled this enemy well, but for those that haven't, here are some tips:


Most important thing is to be clean and stay clean! Bathe as often as you can, use antiseptic soaps, wash your clothes regularly! Stay clean!




Use of anti perspirants and deodorants have
also been advised.

Some people have suggested use of vinegar, lemon juice, tomato baths etc!




A few people may need to consult their doctors for drugs like Botox, a smaller percentage may need surgery.

NB: please avoid overeating raw garlic! Ehw! That smell! It announces your presence a mile away!


The cheapest remedy in my opinion is to stay clean! Clean is cheap and smells better too!


Back to my gist, as the guy alighted from the cab, I breathed a sigh of relief! The other passengers surprisingly woke from their slumber ( except one).

And that got me thinking: 'Does body odour have sedative properties?




2 comments:

  1. alawada.... sedative ko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abiodun Kolade2 July 2014 at 20:27

    I agree. Be clean and stay clean. But sis, at a point all of us don smell before. One way or the other.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for viewing my blog. Please share your views and opinions too