Tuesday 9 December 2014

The Nigerian Default Mode

Hi fellows.  It has been a while I posted here. It's not that I have been oblivious of the happenings around me, no; it's just that I find myself tuning towards the default mode of most Nigerians: ' that's Nigeria for you'. 

 Over the past few days, I have heard conversation after conversation about how awkward the Nigerian situation is with most of these discussions ending in phrases like: May God help us, Na wa for Nigeria, that's just Nigeria for you, there's nothing we can do etc. 

 I realise that it is convenient to take this stand and just believe that the system can't be improved, but the truth is this belief will cause our already sorry state to degenerate further. 


 The other day on one of the Rapid Transit Buses, I almost shut an elderly man up for spreading hopelessness and discouragement to every young person on board! 
Instead, I put his age into consideration and respectfully told him that his generation has failed and if he won't encourage the younger generation, then he should please stop talking.  

Here's my point: With all the craziness going on in the Nigerian system, it is easy to take the 'siddon look' approach and make ends meet enough to take care of yourself and your immediate family; that's what most of the older generation did. We can't afford to do that!  Not at this point of the Nigerian History.  Time will tell, our Children will ask. And like I always say, God forbid that they also say to us that we failed their generation! 

Let's start to act out our rantings! 
Let our actions be the change we so passionately talk about. 
Take a further step by being the change you wish to see. 
It starts with you and I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for viewing my blog. Please share your views and opinions too