Thursday 7 August 2014

The 'home-training' missle!!!

As my wet and very long day slowly wound to an end yesterday, I prayed to God beneath my breath. I was exhausted and almost overwhelmed. I was battling with the news that Nigeria had already recorded a mortality from Ebola and Morbidity had increased to 7; I reminded myself of scriptural truths because that was the only source of sense I could harness at that moment.

I had also gotten more than I prepared for at a meeting and was still wondering how I was going to pull the project through. I really didn't want to stress myself ( but what's worth doing at all is worth doing well, so I mentally braced up for the task ahead).

All these, plus the trickling rain, muddy roads, dripping umbrella and dirty legs contributed to my near-sore mood; and all I wanted was to get home and raise my legs on a mount of pillows!
I didn't plan to get into a generational tussle at all. Unfortunately, that's where I landed!


I didn't notice this man until he flung my bag strap at me as I boarded the 'keke Napep'. He was already inside and refused to make considerable space for any other passenger.
Politely I said 'sorry sir' and retrieved the wandering bag strap to my laps. A few minutes passed and another lady joined us in the tricycle.
I thought to myself ' this is trouble'.




You see, this lady was a plus-sized lady. Maybe a size 16, and I guessed that the man would not adjust to accommodate her. I guessed right, he didn't. The lady ( in her mid-twenties) politely asked him to move. He declined and she couldn't understand why. The exchange of opinions started and I tried to tell the lady to just sit and let this disgruntled man carry his issues with him.

I wasn't going to get into the banter, until he launched the infamous weapon. Out of nowhere, this man used the 'home-training' missle and I got mad!
"If you had home training, ........"
I know you have had this weapon launched at you too in the past.


Ahn Ahn! What's with Nigerian adults sef?
There we were, cramped in the tricycle with a 60-something year old man, who for reasons best known to him, decided to inconvenience other passengers for his own comfort; and he dared say we lacked home training because we voiced our thoughts and told him he was wrong!
I couldn't keep quiet!




As I voiced out my thoughts about his unacceptable behaviour and wrong ideology, everyone in the vehicle kept quiet. Even the man wasn't talking again.
How can you be wrong and expect to go scot-free because you are an 'elder' of the land?


Do you think that every young person will keep quiet and respect your wrong acts because of the grey hair( he didn't even have grey hair o)?
Does it mean that as African youths, we are expected to keep quiet and ignore the wrong actions of our elders because they have been here before us?
Definitely not!


I respect our culture and would never disrespect anyone, but let the elders also behave their ages!
 Let them respect the laws of the land and the laws of humanity.
Let them stop bullying the younger ones into silence with their grey hair and stares.



As I alighted at my destination, I didn't feel as exhausted as I had been when I boarded. In fact, I was glad that I had politely and cautiously educated an older citizen who was wrong and needed to know so.

Even Elihu in the bible must have felt like I did yesterday when he wrote :
“I’m a young man,
and you are all old and experienced.
That’s why I kept quiet
and held back from joining the discussion.
I kept thinking, ‘Experience will tell.
The longer you live, the wiser you become.’
But I see I was wrong—it’s God’s Spirit in a person,
the breath of the Almighty One, that makes wise hum
an insight possible".


Selah.

1 comment:

  1. You are right dear sister. A lot of elders cheat the younger ones just by claiming age. I've heard the phrase "Am I not old enough to be your parent" too many times to count. In such instances, I politely, but firmly tell them "You are not my parent".

    I was brought up to respect all, but fear none. I try to be as polite as possible, and I am courteous to all. Unfortunately, some people see my courtesy as stupidity and try to take me for a fool; this is to their detriment as I come at them with guns blazing.

    Our elders eat their young. That is one of the major problems in Africa. They refuse to understand that times have changed. The present is very different from the past, just like the future will differ from now.

    I hope we (youths) would learn that lesson so we don't recycle the mistakes of our elders.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for viewing my blog. Please share your views and opinions too